Pizza making is favorite amongst my mini chef's and one of the ways I introduce knife skills. We use these salad knives for teaching littles hands how to chop and slice. They are large enough to grip tight with a bear claw and they are made out of BPA free plastic, making them safe for little hands. Remember the game Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head? Veggie faces are very reminiscent, the tomato eyes can swap for ears, the zucchini nose can be a silly beard!
Prep Time 10 Mins
Cook Time 7-10 Mins
- 1 package of whole wheat pita (large if making dinner, small if making snack)
- 1 jar of pizza sauce or tomato sauce (or make your own!) I like Muir Glen Organic for the short list of ingredients and no added sugars.
- Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 zucchini, sliced into circles and cut into half moons (or you can let you mini chef do this part)
- Cherry tomatoes, cut in half (same as above, having a helper in the kitchen is half the fun!)
- 1 green and 1 red pepper, cored and seeded, sliced the long way to form a mouth
- Preheat oven to 400F and set rack to middle.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- I like to chop the veggies first, calling out the names and colors of produce.
- Place about two-three tablespoons of sauces on the pitas and cover with cheese.
- Decorate your face with veggies and fruit, spinach for hair, zucchini for eyes, tomatoes for nose and ears, peppers for a mouth.
- Toast for 7 mins or until cheese is bubbling.